Last updated on September 13th, 2019
If you’re wondering, “what does matcha taste like,” this ultimate guide to matcha tea can help! This matcha guide has all the basics you need to know about matcha green tea! Everything including: what is matcha, what does matcha taste like, matcha health benefits, choosing the best matcha tea, how to make matcha tea and matcha lattes, and dozens of matcha recipes.
Raise your hand if you made some sort of “treat your body better” resolution? If you did, good for you! And if you didn’t, me either. I was worried I’d just disappoint myself, but also I’m pretty happy with the balance of what I eat/drinm sharing this ultimate guide to matcha, complete with information from what is matcha, what are the matcha health benefits, what does matcha taste like, why I drink matcha, how and where to buy matcha, choosing the best matcha tea, how to make matcha tea, and dozens of matcha recipes. My hope is that I inspire you to give matcha a solid try to see how it makes you feel. I’ll equip you with all the information you need to do so right here in this post.
What is matcha
What does matcha taste like?
Matcha has a profound effect on mood and energy. Since you consume the whole ground leaf, matcha green tea has more caffeine content than other brewed green teas. With about 60mg of caffeine per serving, the caffeine level is more comparable to that of black tea, or about 2/3 of the caffeine as a cup of coffee.
The high theanine content described above combined with moderate caffeine gives drinkers a calm alertness, what some refer to as “zenergy.” While it provides a morning boost, it does so in the form of alert concentration that doesn’t give you the jitters or crash like coffee does. I’ll tell you more about this energy boost in the section on why I choose matcha over coffee.
Disclaimer: I am not a health expert, but in my research and experience of matcha, these are just a few of the matcha health benefits I’ve learned that I find interesting and helpful. Please consult your doctor, nutritionist, or other research for more detailed information, especially if pregnant or nursing.
Why I drink daily matcha
如果你是一个普通的读者，你可能已经知道，我不是一个喝咖啡，从来没有过。我没有经历一个深刻的开关从咖啡到抹茶一样，我知道很多人都有。正如有人容易发生慢性偏头痛，我是见过世面的咖啡非常谨慎。In college, I’d drink the occasional “dirty chai” (espresso + chai + copious amounts of milk and sugar) to get me through deadlines, but I never liked the feeling of coming after the initial high that always seemed to trigger a migraine.
When I found matcha lattes, it was a game changer. Especially after becoming a new mom with a suddenly much earlier alarm clock than my prior grad school life required. Matcha provides just the morning boost I needed as a non-coffee drinker. It gives me a morning high, without the jolt, buzz, or crash you get with coffee – without the accompanying headache or caffeine withdrawals.
My husband Lucas describes coffee as a steep bell curve. Or maybe more like a cliff, where you quickly get a morning buzz, but then, without more, you hit a wall and quickly come down. I think of matcha like an radical graph increase that levels off and keeps me going throughout the day. And, much like coffee, I have trouble starting my day early without it.
正因如此，连我差不多两岁会告诉你早上妈妈饮品抹茶拿铁，as you may remember。Just last week, I made a face at the smell of Lucas’s iced coffee, which turned into a playful argument pitting matcha against coffee. Lucas turned to our toddler to settle it – “which is better, Zoella, matcha or coffee?”
For what it’s worth, Lucas has also dialed back his love of coffee this year, trading it in for matcha lattes due to some chronic stomach troubles he’s been associating with his coffee habit. I’m hopeful he’ll experience the same energy and mood effects I do.
How to choose the best matcha tea?
If you’re still reading this ultimate guide to matcha, you’re hopefully interested in trying matcha as your daily drink or even just a once in awhile treat. But how do you choose and buy matcha? There are many factors to choose from, including type, quality, and grade. And not all matcha brands are created equal.
If you’ve ever had a bad experience with matcha tea and you think you definitely don’t like matcha, I want to encourage you to try it one more time, but keeping these tips for choosing matcha in mind. It’s possible that it’s not for you (hey, coffee’s not for me, but like 80% of adults swear by it, so…), but it’s also possible that you just didn’t trygood抹茶，它可以使或打破你的经验。
两年前，我包括很多的这个信息how to choose matcha在我的食谱职位之一，但我正在这里建立在这些信息都有了一个终极指南。
在其中抹茶源于仔细看。我喜欢日本，在那里收获的做法已经得到普及和磨练购买抹茶，并且其中农业法律严格得多。如果你正在寻找的抹茶来自污染严重的地区，像中国这样的部件，它更可能的是，抹茶本身contains high levels of metals or lead。
For optimum taste, I recommend to storing your matcha in air-tight packaging in the refrigerator for a maximum of 6 months. If your matcha has lost its vibrant color and the smell is lackluster, it’s probably time to toss it!
MATCHA BRAND COMPARISIONS:
I compared seven different matcha types and/or brands ina comparison a couple years ago(pictured above). I used a matcha latte to compare because that’s my preferred way to drink it, but you may notice even more subtleties if you drink the matcha straight up with hot water.
Disclosure: Four separate matcha brands sent me their matcha to try in this taste-test comparison, but my loyalties were to the taste and product only and not a specific brand: Encha, Harvest Tea Company, Organic Evolution, and Sun Goddess Matcha.
I’ve discovered that most high-quality matcha cannot be purchased in your standard grocery store. The best matcha is available online direct from the brand, and most of them can be found on Amazon.
在上面的图片，我林立的抹茶高达从左到右根据我们的口味偏好。1。Encha有机礼仪级抹茶, 2.Encha Organic Latte-Grade Matcha, 3 & 4.Encha有机烹饪级抹茶和收获茶叶公司（似乎后者的品牌已经关门大吉了），5和6。茶共和国Matcha与非英语日语礼仪抹茶从日本带，7回。Organic Evolution。Since I took the picture above, I’ve added in a few more matcha brands for comparison and I’ll break that down for you.
- 最佳抹茶（1＆2，在最左边）：Encha’s ceremonial grade matchaand拿铁品位抹茶were smoother than the rest. They both balanced matcha’s vegetal notes and nuttiness with a smooth sweetness without a bitter edge. Since I took the picture above, I’ve tastedSun Goddess Matcha。It compares well with Encha’s latte gradematchaas smooth, but seems to taste a less strong on the vegetal notes, giving it a little less dimension than Encha.
- Second Best Matcha (3 & 4):Encha的烹饪等级和收获茶的烹饪等级同样比较。他们是一个比礼仪和拿铁一点涩，但不得不使他们仍然享受明显的潇洒。需要注意的是烹饪等级抹茶具有比拿铁或礼仪级matchas咖啡因少。自从我把上面的图片，我已经尝过Numi Organic Ceremonial Grade Matcha。它与Encha的烹饪等级比较好，是目前为止我已经能够找到一家杂货店的最佳抹茶。在紧要关头，你可以在整体食物得到这个。
- 较低质量的抹茶（5＆6）：在阵容接下来的两个matchas（茶共和国and a matcha brought back from Japan) were a tad dull and lacked the nuttiness of the others.
- 最低质量抹茶（7）：最右边的抹茶合照（Organic Evolution）是最棕色和氧化的一群，是明显的苦，不愉快的饮料。
In the flavor comparison above, I included all three grades of matchas (and two that didn’t have “grades” listed), but these are not all created equal to begin with. For example, it makes sense that the ceremonial grade matcha ranked the highest, as it should, and here’s why. The picture above shows each of these grades in order from left to right for the same brand, Encha.
- Ceremonial Grade传统上是被用热水分r and is the highest grade, made from the finest leaves plucked from the first harvest. It also has the highest price point, so is best reserved for special occasions. Traditionally ceremonial grade matcha is not made with other sweeteners or additives, such as milk.
- 拿铁级is not a common grade you will find. Like ceremonial, it is also made from the first harvest leaves, and is best balanced with milk in a latte.Encha is the only brandI’ve come across that makes a “latte” grade. It’s a high-quality premium matcha at a lower price, making a quality product that’s more affordable for everyday matcha drinkers like myself. If I’m making a drink or dessert where I want the vibrant green matcha color and a smooth taste, I useEncha’s organic latte grade(ex.coconut matcha horchataor this抹茶早餐炖蛋). It’s what I drink as my morning matcha latte every day. If you’re thinking of making the leap into becoming a daily matcha drinker, this is what I’d recommend as a starting point.
- Culinary Gradeis traditionally meant for baking or matcha smoothies. Culinary grade matcha is generally made from second or third harvest. Higher-quality brands like, Encha use only second harvest. When baking, culinary grade will still produce vegetal and nutty profiles in your baked goods. Those subtleties noticed in the ceremonial and latte grades are indistinguishable. When drinking, however, you’ll notice the matcha is much more astringent and bitter.
How to make matcha tea
正如前面提到的，礼仪等级抹茶传统飞快用热水bamboo matcha whiskuntil frothy.
- 把水倒在抹茶。用竹子的学习ha whisk, gently dab the matcha then whisk in circles to distribute it. Raising the whisk up so it's not touching the bottom of your cup, whisk the matcha vigorously back and forth for a few minutes until it gets nice and frothy. Slow the whisk down to gentle circles again to reduce big bubbles to foam. Serve warm.
Matcha Latte Recipe – with Matcha Whisk
Now we’re moving onto matcha lattes. To be honest, I’ve made matcha lattes at least 10 different ways, depending on what I have access to. These are the steps for mixing the matcha with a whisk and adding either steamed or frothed milk.
- 把水倒在抹茶。用竹子的学习ha whisk, gently dab the matcha then whisk in circles to distribute it. Raising the whisk up so it's not touching the bottom of your cup, whisk the matcha vigorously back and forth for a few minutes until it gets nice and frothy. Slow the whisk down to gentle circles again to reduce big bubbles to foam.
- 蒸汽6盎司的牛奶的选择。我更喜欢佛罗里达州的vor with organic non-fat milk, but many prefer nut or plant-based milks. It'll work with any.
- Pour the steamed milk over the whisked matcha and add the sweetener, if using. Whisk it again to combine and make it a little more frothy.
- If you have a handheld milk frother, you can opt to reserve the foam to spoon on top.
Matcha Latte Recipe – with Electric Milk Steamer
Strictly for my love of matcha lattes, we registered for anAeroccino电蒸锅奶剂和起泡剂when we got married. I use my milk steamer like Lucas uses his coffee maker. It has streamlined my morning matcha more than you can imagine and is probably the easiest way to make matcha. This is how I make matcha 95% of the time. The other 5% is when I decide I want to practice my terrible latte-art skills and steam/froth the milk separately.
Iced Matcha Latte Recipe
- 1½ teaspoons latte grade matcha (I use Encha organic latte grade
- 9oz cold milk of choice (I use organic non-fat milk)
- Ice cubes
Beyond drinking matcha, there are so many ways to enjoy its unique flavor through recipes. Matcha pairs beautifully with everything from dark or white chocolate to black sesame to adzuki bean paste to mint to coconut. Below is a compilation of some of my favorite matcha recipes here on Snixy Kitchen. Click on any image or link below to be taken to the recipe Or you can seeall my matcha recipes here。
- Gluten-Free White Chocolate Matcha Shortbread Cookies
- Matcha Marshmallows
- Morning Mint Matcha Milkshake