Last updated on July 25th, 2020
Matcha mochi cake is all at once savory and sweet. Sweet chewy sticky butter mochi cake with earthy nutty matcha notes and a crisp toasted coconut topping holding bits of flaky salt.From Alana Kysar’sAloha Kitchen(with matcha added), butter mochi cake could not be any easier to make with only about 5 minutes of active time!
When I was working at her preschool earlier this week, Zoella powderized a piece of green chalk through a mesh sifter and announced to everyone, “this looks like matcha!!” She giggled wildly, pleased with her observation. The three other kids at the art table exchanged puzzling glances.
Traditional Hawaiian Butter Mochi Cake
This recipe comesvery slightly改编自我的朋友黄油年糕食谱Alana’slatest cookbookAloha Kitchen. The original butter mochi is the stuff of dreams. Here I’ve given it a Matcha March twist by adding a heavy dose of matcha to the batter. Make both. And pick up a copy of her book. Also follow her blog for all thebutter mochi inspiration!
Her cookbook is filled with 85 recipes from the cultures influencing Hawai’i and was named one of the best cookbooks of 2019 by NPR and NYT. Every single beautifully photographed recipe will give you the itch to travel. Or hunker down in your kitchen to make it smell and taste like Hawai’i.
This spin on her recipe combines two of my all-time favorite dessert elements into one super dessert: matcha and mochi. And with this matcha mochi recipe, Matcha March 2020 is finally underway!
To get the mixing process nailed down, I made two pans of this matcha mochi cake in one day. Each pan makes atleast24 bars. More if you cut them smaller. That is a批量抹茶的麻糬饼。幸运的是，我们与60ish饿父母幼儿园合作社会议的夜晚。每一个最后的麻糬饼栏消失了。
That’s the great thing about this recipe. As a traditional dessert found at any Hawaiian party, butter mochi cake feeds a crowd and is so super simple to whip up.
Coconut Mochi Cake
This matcha mochi cake is all at once savory and sweet. Earthy matcha adds nuttiness that balances with the sweet coconuty sticky rice cake. Shredded coconut on top creates a crisp toasted coconut shell and holds little bits of flaky salt. As it sits, the topping softens into a caramel-like toasted coconut blanket on the second day.
该中心是粘和耐嚼的方式，让人们大声地说，“什么是这个吗?“虽然更多和消息传递,您回去the next day for the recipe.
How to Make Matcha Mochi Cake
With only about 5 minutes of active time, butter mochi cake could not be any easier to make. Unlike some recipes, Alana’s butter mochi doesn’t require any evaporated milk, which makes the recipe all that much more approachable. This is a theme for all the recipes I’ve tried inAloha Kitchen:super flavorful and super approachable. You need this book in your kitchen.
Matcha Butter Mochi
To avoid clumps of matcha powder in the batter, rub the matcha powder into the sugar until evenly distributed before adding it to the mochiko. For the most appealing green color, use ahigh-quality matcha powder. To read more about choosing matcha and to find more matcha recipes, check out myultimate guide to matcha.
- Coconut Matcha Ice Cream
- Healthy Mint Matcha Milkshake
- Coconut Matcha Rice Pudding
- Coconut Matcha Horchata
And for everything you want to know about matcha with so many more matcha recipes, check out myultimate guide to matcha.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 1½ tablespoons high-quality matcha powder
- One 1-pound box Mochiko flour (also called "sweet rice flour")
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon more for pan
- One 13.5oz can coconut milk, warmed, if needed, until smooth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- A few pinches flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 9x13 baking pan generously with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla, and milk.
- 在另一个大碗,糖和马一起搅拌tcha until completely mixed. Whisk in mochiko, baking powder, and kosher salt. Pour the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until well combined.
- Add melted butter and coconut milk and mix fully incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and rap the pan on the counter a couple of times to release any air bubbles.
- Evenly sprinkle the shredded coconut on top and sprinkle with a few pinches of flaky salt.
- Store up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.